It was pretty disgustingly hot, and humid today, so a loose breezy outfit was perfect.
This skirt is one of those seemingly magical pieces of clothing. It works with almost anything, and in almost any situation. It feels wonderful every time you wear it, and gets complimented nearly as often.
I made it about three years ago, worn it well over 100 times, and have never gotten sick of it.
Every time I pull this skirt out, after awhile of not having it be front and center in my closet every day, I wonder what elements make it work so well. What conjures the magic in a magical piece of clothing?
I can never 100% pin down (or plan) what makes a seemingly perfect garment perfect. But that doesn’t mean I don’t try, and for this piece, I think at least part of part of the magic comes from how this piece strikes a balance between juxtaposing qualities.
It’s a silk skirt, so there is an element of “dressy,” but it has an elastic waistband, which makes it feel very casual. It’s a pretty basic ivory color but since it has the subtle pattern it can’t quite be pigeonholed into the category of “solid basic skirt.” The handkerchief hem again plays into the casual nature of it, but having two off-set layers makes it something a little more interesting than a straightforward 4-corner handkerchief hem. The geometric check pattern is subtle enough to be subdued, but interesting enough to be eye-catching.
So, paired with a simple black tee-shirt, my go-to jewelry, and some sneakers, this is the sort of skirt that makes for the perfect centerpiece of a low key, easy breezy, hot-humid, summer day look.
What I’m wearing…
Shirt: Women’s Drape Crewneck Short-Sleeve T-shirt from Uniqlo
Skirt: Made-by-me, pattern self-drafted (More about the skirt here.)
Shoes: Nike Flex 2016 RN Women’s Running Shoe from Nike
Necklace: Old, from a street fair
Lip: Revlon’s Super Lustrous™ Lipstick in the colorway Goldpearl Plum
Catch up on Day One of the challenge here, Day Two here, and what the challenge is here.
Keep reading about capsule wardrobes:
- What Is A Capsule Wardrobe? Your Capsule Wardrobe Know How
- Build a Capsule Wardrobe: 7 quick tips to help you build one you love
- Stop wasting energy: Is a capsule wardrobe worth the effort?
- Is a colorful, high-vibe capsule wardrobe possible?
- Fall 2017 10×10 Wardrobe Challenge Review: what worked? what didn’t? and what will I keep in mind for next time?
- Summer 2017 10×10 Wardrobe Challenge Review: what worked, what didn’t, what I’ll keep in mind for next time
- Bored with your capsule wardrobe? How to update it